Choosing the proper cutter style is critical for maximum production and safety. Below we have listed some of the popular Oregon® chain cutter choices. Remember to use this for informational purposes. Lawn mower Parts outlet.com encourages anyone operating a chain saw to seek proper training. Use low kick chains whenever possible.
• Chisel - Also referred to as “Flat Top” or “Square Corner”. Best when used in clean cutting conditions and is a fast cutting chain. This chain will dull quicker if the cutting corner is exposed to dirt or abrasive conditions and takes a little more effort to sharpen properly.
• Semi-Chisel - Also referred to as “Round Tooth” and “Barrel Tooth”. This chain may be a little more forgiving in dirty situations. Many find it easier to file due it’s rounded edge.
• Chipper - This chain is only available in 3/4” pitch Harvester applications. The tooth is easy to spot with its fully rounded corners. Not for use in hand-held applications.
• Micro-Chisel - A fairly new design cutter style that offers small radius working corners for a combination of fast cutting and easy maintenance. Available in the following hand held applications: .325 pitch (20, 21, 22, 95 series), 1/4” pitch (25 series), .404 pitch (26, 27 series) and .404 pitch Harvester in both (16H and 18X).
• Chamfer Chisel - These cutters have an angular shape with twin cutting corners, this allows outstanding performance and easy maintenance.
• Ripping - Used when cutting parallel to the grain. This style has a special factory grind on the cutters designed for making dimensional limber.